Monday, December 3, 2012

Waiting for Stillness

In yesterday's call to worship, the liturgy reminded us of "the silence of this space."  I was sitting in our habitual back corner, kids row.  It was neither silent nor still.

I love the liturgies of Advent that remind us of the stillness and silence of waiting, but it's also good to be reminded of the fluster of preparation and hectic tasks that come at this time of year.  I realized that my  hope for silence and stillness will likely come after Christmas, if at all.

Waiting, nevertheless, remains part of my days at this time of year.  The countdown to finals.  The countdown to the last papers to grade.  The countdown to packing and getting on the airplane.  The countdown of parties to attend and host, cards to write, concerts to applaud, presents to gather, treats to create.  All many and joyful things, but all part of the list of things to do.

I'm working on stillness still, however.  To sit in the midst of kids climbing over and under chairs, in search of fruit snacks and toy cars, and to hear the prophecy anew:  "Lift up your heads; your redemption is near."

No comments:

Post a Comment