Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Do I dare to eat a peach?

There's a lot wrapped up in Prufrock's question. 

Uncertainty.  Fear.  Anxiety.  Inferiority.  Abstraction.

Nevertheless, the question flared up in my mind this evening as I sliced myself a peach from our hardware-store lug of peaches.  (Why the hardware store sells the best peaches in town I don't know, but I do know that I've bought them every summer I've lived here and have yet to be disappointed.)

I'm uncertain enough these days.  Fearful and anxious, too, in some ways.  But I sliced my peach and am glad enough of it as a symbol of my rebellion against my own insecurity. 

"Check it at the door," a friend said to me today, encouraging me to set aside my habit of stewing in self-doubt.

I'm eating my peach as I write, defying Prufock and his inhuman abstractions, and choosing instead the sweet and sticky reality of my own human self.

Do I dare?

No comments:

Post a Comment