Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Summer School

<heaving a sigh of relief.>

Today's the last day.

With only a week between the spring final exam period and the beginning of summer school (and bear in mind that was moving week), I'm feeling exhausted.  Actually, the exhausted feeling kind of dragged behind me from the spring semester and has simply settled into my office for most of the summer.

But today's the last day.

My summer Wednesday night class meets from 6:00-9:00, so I determined early on that food might help us to make our way through the heady and heavy discussions of literary criticism.  I brought bars and Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies and strawberries and cupcakes from HyVee and, on the night we discussed Marxism and Jameson's formulation of Late Capitalism, HoneyMaid Angry Birds Honey Grahams.  Thankfully, my students got it.

It's our last class meeting, and the presentation project my students have devised seems to lean on Top Chef, so I'm sure there will be some food involved.  What will I contribute?  I'm thinking about brownies, though the Hershey's "Especially Dark" Chocolate Cake is great. 

Perhaps I'll swing through HyVee once more, since I need to pick up diapers for the trip tomorrow and I have a pile of grading to get through this afternoon (baking would be an indulgence I may not have time for). 

But we will have something to celebrate:  the end of summer, the beginning of summer, the accomplishment of a challenging course, and the rest we all need.

Time for a snack, and time for a break.

I'll be back on August 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment