Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Eating in a New Way

When the pediatrician suggested we run some allergy tests to see if we could help Matt's itchiness and dry skin, I said a quick prayer that it wouldn't turn up a dairy allergy. 

When the nurse called a few days later, she told me that it was, in fact, wheat . . . and eggs . . . and dairy . . . and peanuts.

Oooof.

My first inclination was that he'd be switching to formula right away.  But then I remembered how expensive formula is--especially the allergy-safe formula.  So I decided to take it one day at a time.  So far, more than a month later, I'm still sticking with it.  At least for today.

I did allow myself to go shopping right away for some alternative ingredients to have on hand, and I immediately proved to myself that I could still make and eat treats by whipping up a batch of rice crispy treats and eating almost the whole pan. 

So now I'm a gluten-free, meat-eating vegan who is the obnoxious person pestering waitstaff with questions.

I've also gotten to read a whole host of interesting cookbooks I wouldn't have otherwise touched.

And I'm still eating pretty well.




No comments:

Post a Comment