Friday, September 28, 2012

Vegetables

Though the title of this blog indicates my preference for cookies, I really do love vegetables.  (My dislike of lima beans doesn't diminish this--really, Jonathan.)  Cauliflower--roasted and mashed--has been a favorite in this turn to fall, but every week we get something new to taste from our CSA farmer, pushing us toward more vegetables.

It's late in the season to consider summer rolls, but when I saw this article on NPR last week, I thought about a few of the salad vegetables that had been getting ignored in this turn toward cooler weather.  The truth is, however, that I love summer rolls and rarely get to have them, so I was excited by the thought that I might be able to do something with them on my own.

Yesterday morning, in our crisp September air, Jo and I walked to the HyVee and managed to track down rice paper in our few shelves of ethnic food.  After we got home, I made a morning salad snack of cabbage, lettuce, carrots, and peppers (all lingering from last week's CSA share) rolled into the dampened rice paper.  A product of our semi-annual Trader Joe's trek (the nearest store is three hours away), the stashed bottle of Thai sweet chili sauce was perfect for dipping. 

Perhaps it seems strange to make a summer roll discovery at the end of September, it may just give me one more push to eat my vegetables, and love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment