Monday, October 1, 2012

Cookies at School

<Whew.>

How did it get to be October so fast?

While the term is going well, I do feel rather like the pace on the treadmill has been set much higher than I can functionally accomplish, without a clear sign of rest in sight.

We've had many good--even great--opportunities that contribute to this, including field trips, guest speakers, the local festival of books (with Sherman Alexie giving the keynote last Wednesday) and a classroom visit from one of the visiting authors.  This week, the state Supreme Court is on campus, hearing arguments and deliberating in our Performing Arts Center.  This means that I'm sharing my office for a few days with my displaced husband, whose office wing is shut down for the justices.

When Jonathan hiked upstairs with me to the English Department suite, he noted a few of the leftover cookies from the author's Friday afternoon talk.  I had asked the department chair if there were budget funds for some treats, since it was something of a special event, so I got to order a tray of our catering department's fine cookies.

I did have to invite people to take the cookies, but many of them did make their way out of the classroom on Friday, and the visiting author even snagged an extra to take back during her book-signing afternoon.  She was a delight, and I was pleased to meet someone unashamed to take an extra cookie for the road.

It's a small thing, but I'm glad to be able to offer hospitality, even in a stuffy classroom with ancient desks.  Cookies manage to make it special.

I hope they bring some for the Supreme Court justices.

No comments:

Post a Comment