Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I knew I was forgetting something.

To my credit, I did make it to all of my conferences today; I went to class.  (I had even done the reading!)  And I'm in the midst of a short break in the line of student conferences and recall that I didn't have a post scheduled for today.

My mind has been elsewhere lately, but I'm still hoping to keep this practice of blogging, since it calls me (even a bit late) from the distractions of so many other things.

I've been meal-planning today--for other events, for caterers.  And what I've eaten has been my hastily packed lunch of random bits.  (I decided a while ago that I don't often care for sandwiches, so my school lunches tend to be baggies of snack food in varying arrangements: today it was cherry tomatoes, cheese, two pieces of salami, some rye crackers, a box of raisins, and a yogurt.  Random, yes, but I hit on at least most of the food groups.)  Most of my school lunches are also haphazardly eaten at my desk, trying not to get cracker crumbs in my keyboard or yogurt on student papers.  I'm largely successful, or at least I like to think I am.

Maybe this is why I do so often enjoy cooking on the weekend, when I have a proper amount of time to plan for it and to enjoy the process rather than hurridly putting together some of this and some of that.

Midweek dinners, especially this close to midterms, can be hit and miss at this point.  We still eat at home, and I still cook most nights, but planning ahead for what we might be able to put together before everyone's blood sugar sinks into crankiness is not something I've pursued.  My tastes change too easily with my mood to know a week (or more!) in advance what I'd like to make and eat for dinner.

My solution is a well stocked (if simply stocked) pantry of flexible ingredients and a willingness to prepare less-than-wonderfully-creative meals much of the time.  With this, however, we manage pretty well most of the time.

For tonight?  It's either leftovers or the old Pittsburgh staple of cabbage and noodles, with a little smoked turkey sausage thrown in for flavor.  It'll get us through for now.

Unless I'm forgetting something.

No comments:

Post a Comment