Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Birthday Brownie Pudding

Jo's MorMor has been here for a fall visit, coinciding with her birthday, so last night we got to pause and celebrate.  Jo has been rather obsessed with birthdays since her second birthday in May, when she realized the joy of cake and candles and presents and friends and singing all rolled into one event focused on her.

Most of the summer, Jo has randomly sung happy birthday to us, followed with the question, "What's your number?" (or, nearly as often, "What's your letter?" while meaning number, since she tells us her "letter" is "Two in May").

Auntie Mary (also been along for the visit) tended to the birthday dinner, and I contributed the requisite birthday Brownie Pudding.

While Matt loves cake, I am fondest of my MorMor's Brownie Pudding recipe and have requested it for my birthday nearly as long as I can remember.  In high school, it came to the point that my friends would be expected to come for dinner on my birthday largely for the dessert, and I still have a dear friend who bids me happy birthday each year with the instructions to eat some Brownie Pudding for her.

So last night, filled with a lovely lasagna, we nevertheless tucked in to what always looks like an uneven gooey mess of chocolate.  I balanced the candles in it precariously (since Jo insisted on helping MorMor blow out her candles), and we dished it up warm with vanilla ice cream.

I've seen a few other recipes that come close, but this is a classic that has remained a birthday tradition for our family.

It's always someone's birthday; try it sometime to share!

---

Brownie Pudding

Melt together 1 square unsweetened baking chocolate and 2 Tb. butter

Mix
1 C. flour
3/4 C. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 C. milk

Add melted chocolate and butter, mix thoroughly, and pour into a 9x12 baking dish.

Mix together 1/3 C. white sugar, 1/3 C. brown sugar, and 1/3 C. unsweetened baking cocoa and spread over the brownie batter.  Pour 1 1/2 C. water over all.

Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment